Monday, April 23, 2012

Rational Caregiving Tip #3: Give Unconditional Love--and I mean UNCONDITIONAL


from When My Mother No Longer Knew My Name: a son's "course" in "rational" caregiving
by Stephen L. Goldstein, Ph.D.  In the book, there are more than 75 down-to-earth, practical tips for caregivers of individuals with dementia/Alzheimer's.

Successful caregiving begins and ends with unconditional love. And
unconditional love begins and ends with literally putting yourself
in someone else’s skin. And that isn’t just verbal mush: It’s the
result of the definitive life-lesson a gut-wrenching experience taught
me almost immediately after my mother moved in. And as awful
as it seemed at the time, it saved both of us years of anguish and
transformed our relationship into a workable one. Most important,
it made it possible for me to become her caregiver in later years,
without a moment’s resistance or regret. If it had never happened,
our lives together could easily have become intolerable.

When My Mother No Longer Knew My Name is available in bookstores nationwide and through online booksellers like Amazon, BarnesandNoble.com, and direct from the publisher, HellgatePress.com:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_19?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=when+my+mother+no+longer+knew+my+name&sprefix=when+my+mother+no+l%2Caps%2C178

No comments:

Post a Comment